APUG.ORG to PHOTRIO.COM Migration, Final Details.

Discussion in 'System Announcements' started by Sean, Aug 4, 2017.

1. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is funny, and sad, that so few of the points in this thread make direct reference to whether the impending change will make the website experience BETTER for those who are either using it now, or will use it in the future.
    Including for Sean, for whom I will be forever grateful.
    My outlook on this is that I THINK it will make things better, because it will make it possible to more fully involve those who use "hybrid" methods. If it does that, and also maintains the value to those who wish to discuss the non-hybrid world, and continues to provide a healthy, vibrant internet community to us who came here for the joy of a community that values the world of film and other non-digital things, it will be both an "artistic" success, and I expect a financial one.
    I get great joy in helping those who are essentially new to film. It isn't the least troublesome to me that they might not be printing optically. I just want to be able to both value what I like to do, and discuss it with those who also value it, and are comfortable with rules that keep them on topic while they are where they are.

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sure that Sean appreciates the comment, but other than those few of us APUGers who have met him/her, how do you know??:whistling:

3. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm... that's a good point. So Sean... are you a horny young lady... or a savvy businessman... or non-gender profit-neutral?

Forget that. I love analog photography. I love this website. And I love you too... in a 'straight guy' sort of way. This is why I pay you for your 'services'.:D

4. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I love it when people start telling other people what they can afford and how they can afford it, without knowing a single thing about that person or their bills or their finances other than the fact they exist.

Well surely if you use APUG, you can afford x-y-z dollars per year/month/week and here is how you can do it...

5. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    We need an APUG.COM bumper sticker

6. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've talked to Sean on the phone. Does that count? He is NOT a young lady by any means.

PE

7. OP
    OP
    Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    And the rollout it begins :surprised: Nothing exciting for a while, just moving a lot of data around at first. I guess I should be in a garage in Silicon Valley, but a kitchen table in New Zealand will have to do.

build.jpg

8. OP
    OP
    Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    It's been too long Ron, will have to have a catch up soon when the dust settles.

9. Richard Man

Richard Man Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very nice, classy SLUT SHAMING. Well done. *look at the stat of APUG members* oh right, old white males. Got it. Funny how stereotype works both ways.

10. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. The reality is that many film users don't have a choice - they have to utilize a hybrid workflow. Many - especially younger film users - don't have the space available for a darkroom. And even if they do, new film users aren't will to commit the energy to build a darkroom until they know they want to continue. And community darkrooms are scarce and getting scarcer.

11. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Goodbye APUG. Hello Photrio!

12. SasquatchQB

SasquatchQB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Daisy... Daisy...

13. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seems like the dust just settled - a bit! :D

PE

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Everything looks great. A masterful job. I know there is a weight off your shoulders now, Sean. I think everyone who is not a subscriber should jump on-board. This was obviously a stressful, time-consuming and expensive transition. Sean deserves more than a pat on the back.

16. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Well, personally, I'd like to buy him and his family a holiday.

A dollar a piece from each of us would do nicely.
    In fact, a dollar from everyone who has ever created an account here and we could add an extra few rooms to his house and throw a heated inground swimming pool into the bargain! :D

17. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seems like a very smooth transition... job well done!! :smile:

18. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The word you are reaching for is ABUSERS.

19. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I should have edited that...

I was only referring to those who use this forum extensively, and can very easily afford the subscription fee, but refuse to support the website.

20. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pain free. Nothing to gripe about and yet I can peak at the rest whenever I want.

21. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the new avatar feature that post the first two letters of the screen name if there is not avatar. It makes it much easier to find posts by particular people.

22. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some people don't like to adorn their car with stickers. I'd prefer a t-shirt (singlet) or a cap. I can see it now... Kodak yellow box color with red and black. Maybe silk screen of a camera. Which camera? Maybe assorted varieties. Money would have to be paid up front.

All sorts of money-raising opportunities exist. Chatbooks are inexpensive and a series of them, with members photos and descriptions, could be offered for sale to the membership and others. Again, money would have to be collected first before doing any work.

23. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is/was apug.org, not .com. A member in California used to make sweatshirts and T-shirts. I bought a black hooded sweatshirt with the APUG logo on the front about 11 years ago. The cuffs are kinda worn out, but I still wear it.

24. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With choice of camera such as Minolta, Nikon, Canon, Leica, Alpa, Hasselblad, Rollei, Speed Graphic, Graflex, ... The shirts would be silk screened as each order comes in.

25. OP
    OP
    Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    @Theo Sulphate @winger @Sirius Glass Just added a "Shop" link to the menu. That should be going in a few days and will have branded clothing, accessories of all kinds, stickers, etc. Can I ask what you guys think a reasonable price for a t-shirt is? The margins are pretty low so to make the Shop actually contribute to revenue a shirt might need to be around $20-24. Or maybe I sell them at cost and consider it free advertising?

26. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Obvious slip of the lip, but thank you for the corrections. I was dead serious and would put an APUG sticker on my cars in a second, but I won't put Photrio on them. I was proud when I referred people to the ANALOG PHOTOGRAPHY USERS GROUP. Photrio is about as appealing a name as US Bank Stadium or Safeco Field.