Budget Tripod

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by JADoss23, Aug 10, 2017.

1. JADoss23

JADoss23 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have both a Mamiya RB67 and a speed graphic which both are very heavy cameras. Was looking to get a nice tripod that will support both of these while not breaking the bank. Don't really know much about tripods and was looking for some advice/recommendations. Thanks

2. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First off, I would not buy "bargain" tripods nor "kit" tripods. If you invest in a good tripod, it will last you decades if you take care of it. Cheap tripods will only frustrate you. i'm partial to Manfrotto tripods because they're well made and you can get parts for them fairly easily. If a part breaks on one, you don't have to throw away the tripod. I'm finding that some Chinese tripods like Giottos are a good value. I own a Giottos carbon fiber tripod for 3 years and so far, it's held up to foreign trips to 5 countries.

3. Kino

Kino Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Second the Manfrotto; they have a very nice selection of sticks and heads. They are very rugged, but the larger models can be very heavy.

Added bonus; they appear often on the used market and as Tom suggests, replacement parts are easy to obtain.

Short of that, a nice Gitzo Tiltall, or Star-D copy of a Gitzo tripod, might do the trick for you and they are relatively inexpensive.

Replace a knob on this one and replace the cork on the head, and you'd have a serviceable tripod.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Star-D...209924?hash=item4668fe5844:g:tB4AAOSw8VJZij3F

4. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd get a used Bogen 3021 with 3047 head. Or their newer Manfrotto versions. Nice combination of height, weight and cost.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bargain tripods are not bargains. Induro makes tripods which are almost as good as the big name, big price tripods for a whole lot less.

http://www.indurogear.com/

Capture.PNG

6. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've own a Bogen 3021 for over 30 years. It's battle scarred and still has bits of gaff tape stuck to it. It's like an old friend. I broke the old locking levers off of it and had to replace the knobs with a different set. It's really made for 120 cameras, but I used it with my Sinar F2 4x5 on it until I could afford a larger Bogen tripod. I sold the original head with the octagonal plate and replaced it with an Arca Swiss ballhead. It was a stretch to buy it while trying to pay for college, but it was a great investment. Can't go wrong with Bogen. I work at university photography and filmmaking department and that's all I buy. I keep a collection of replacment parts because the students are really rough on the gear. Lots of broken knobs, lost plates and bent legs. The transport our tripods on their bikes, skateboards and on public transit. Bogen by far, it's the most durable and easy to repair and maintain.

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FWIW, Bogen is/was the US distributor for Manfrotto. If a tripod is/was branded a Bogen, it is a Manfrotto.

8. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Tiltall was first made by Marchioni, then Leitz. The Star-D is a poor imitation, a real Tiltall is probably the best bargain tripod available.

9. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. OptiKen

OptiKen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  11. Trail Images

Trail Images Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought the Feisol 3301 years ago and use both an RB67 ProSD and a Wista 4x5 on the unit and it has been the best out of maybe 3 pods total I've ever owned. I bought it through Really Big Cameras and Kerry Thalman there. My most recent ball head is the Induro BHL3S.......once tightened down nothing moves, period.....:cool:

12. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    a mid-sized used Manfrotto will do the job nicely.

13. OP
    OP
    JADoss23

JADoss23 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all of the input and knowledge. A lot of good recommendations. Wasn't wanting to get a cheaply made tripod just one more budget friendly. Is there anything i should look out for as far as tripod to hold a 4x5? What type of head will I need?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do not like nor trust a ball head, only a pan head, like the Induro PHQ1.

16. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would recommend a manfrotto 3021 as well. The 3001 is a bit underweight for an rb67.

17. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a mid-size Manfrotto ballhead (054) with my RB67, and am quite happy with it. I've never used a Speed Graphic, so cannot comment on it.
    It works well with my new pinhole camera too :smile:.

18. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even the Star-D was a decent tripod with some plastic where the others used metal. I used and abused one for years.

19. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  20. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It (the Star-D) was decent until those plastic knobs broke.

Those round leg, aluminum, unsexy Bogen/Manfrotto tripods can go fairly cheap if you shop carefully. Another point to consider is how much height you need. Even the lowly Manfrotto 3001 would work for those cameras (in a pinch) IF the legs aren't extended.

21. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I regularly use a Bogen 3021 with my Kodak 2D 5x7 camera... plenty of support.

22. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have an old Bogen 3036 with 3047 head. It'll hold my Sinai 4x5 with any lens and all the accessories or my barn door tracker and biggest lenses without shaking, even in moderate wind. It's rock solid and cost me a good bit less than $100. The down side is it weighs a ton! I built a sling to carry it because it's not easy to move along with one of my LF cameras, lenses, and film holders.

I have a few other, lighter tripods, but none are anywhere near as stable or robust. None hold my 4x5 tripods without at least some shake. One day I'm going to buy a nice carbon fiber tripod so I can have a stable and portable tripod, but those are crazy expensive! Until that day, I'll just keep telling myself I need the exercise.

23. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a Bogen, bought it new over 30 years ago with the 3 way head. Very tough, easy to use, solid, but just too heavy to carry for any distance. I bought a wood Berlebach Report tripod for $300, it's easy to carry. It supports my 8x10 Calumet C1 well, and everything smaller of course. I like its simple construction and relatively light weight. I prefer a ball head for smaller cameras but for 4x5 and up I use a 3 way head-- I like my Gitzo 1570, inexpensive on the used market.

24. Kino

Kino Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Star D variants I have are all aluminum; no plastic at all.

25. OP
    OP
    JADoss23

JADoss23 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I ended up finding a Star D for 30 bucks so bought it to use for now until further down the road can buy a nice Bogen. Now just figuring out how to use it. Ha

26. Kino

Kino Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It should be a serviceable tripod until you figure out your specific requirements. I'd rather start with an inexpensive tripod and discover it's limitations for what I want to do and THEN purchase a nice one with all the features I need. You CAN buy a very expensive tripod that is totally unsuitable for what you want to do; which can be a very expensive learning experience.