Film swings in film drier

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by michaelbothager, Jul 16, 2017.

1. michaelbothager

michaelbothager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hi

I've been testing a Durst UT 100 film drier w/ a long plastic sleeve/bag. The top is an air intake with filter, rotor and a heating coil, sucking air in and down the plastic bag. The bag has ventilation holes in the bottom to evacuate the air.

When hanging a film in it, the film starts to swing like a pendulum in a semi-circular motion.

Anyone who have experienced this, and any suggestions how to overcome this, so multiple films don't collide when drying?

All the best
    Michael

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you put weights at the free ends?

In case a motion still should occur you could add a frame interconnecting all weights.

3. OP
    OP
    michaelbothager

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Yes, bottom clips is weighted, tried both light and slightly heavier weights. No real difference, still swings like a pendulum.

4. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is the top clip such that it free to move or is it held stationary? If held stationary, I would think the problem would be minimized.

5. OP
    OP
    michaelbothager

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    The top clip is hanging from a small wire, so it is free to move.

6. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It may depend on what "multiple" means. I have the same set-up and while the bottom of a 36 frame film will swing slightly, I believe I could manage 4 films together, if placed towards each corner, based on the extent of the swing I have observed. I have never tried 4 films together but two are certainly OK.

I use heavy metal weights which extend beyond the edges of the film so any swing will not result in the films touching each other.If there are 4 films in the UT 100 the weights might touch each other but then in effect will dampen down the swing.

It sounds as if you have observed the effect of a one film swing and have assumed from that observation that this will result in film sticking to each other. Give two films together a try with metal weights top and bottom from wire hooks and watch what happens. If all is OK try 3 next time. It will be clear from the motion of 3 if 4 is possible.

pentaxuser

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which is a, maybe more simple, approach to the same effect as my proposal of a frame interconnecting the weights.

8. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    put bungies from the bottom clips to the deck. Thin bungie is sold in camping stores for tent poles.

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Won't work.
    Dryers of this built have a ventilating/heating head that is mounted to a wall and a hose from PVC foil with opening slit as drying chamber that hangs down from it. At its best they got a tiny metal ring at their bottom as weight to stretch the hose. It cannot be used to mount the films under tension.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  10. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ah I see it now. I thought it was a cabinet, not a hanging bag.

back to the drawing board... heavier weights then?