1. Welcome to PHOTRIO! APUG & DPUG members can re-login with your APUG or DPUG username and password. If you prefer 100% Analog (APUG) content then uncheck "Hybrid" and "Digital" in the site header (page top, right next to the PHOTRIO logo). PHOTRIO is still under construction for the next few weeks, but we felt it was stable enough to open. The forum categories need a major restructuring and we'll be working on that and much more. For a "quick start" guide to new features CLICK HERE. To report bugs and feature requests CLICK HERE. Thank you for your patience, and please keep in mind we are still finishing off the site. (Close this notice by clicking the X to the top right of the notice box).

German PhotoKlassik magazine to be published in English

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by K-G, Apr 16, 2017.

1. K-G

K-G Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you - I wasn't aware of this magazine.

3. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I clicked the link and it took me to "Facebook" where I had 3 options of: 1. Log-in; 2. Sign -up or 3. Not Now. When I clicked Not Now I had expected the options page to disappear , at least for a period. Instead of this it re-appears immediately with only the first two options which stays on the page. Yes you can try and ignore it and you can still see the page but it is a bit like someone standing in front of your television. You can look round him but with so much difficulty that he hopes you get the message and will do as he says.

It is like the joke: A "down and out" approaches a person on the street and says: "Sir, can you help this poor man standing in front of you whose only possession in the world is a loaded Smith and Wesson" :D.

Sorry, nothing to do with the welcome message that the thread announces but this gets under my skin. Why not be open and say that unless you join, then Facebook is a "closed book" to non subscribers

Rant over

pentaxuser

4. OP
    OP
    K-G

K-G Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry about your trouble, but Facebook is so far the only place were the information is listed. In due time I suppose it will come up on their ordinary website ( link enclosed ).

Karl-Gustaf

https://www.photoklassik.de/

5. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Amazingly, I can view it on my ancient (2011) smartphone without having to join Facebook.

Thanks!

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was not aware of that magazine, but I no longer bother to look at photo magazines any more. I may take a look at that one. Thank you.

7. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It is not your problem Karl-Gustaf. It is Facebook's. I too can view it, Theo, but not only by looking around the obstacle that Facebook puts in my way. This obstacle may work to persuade most others to join Facebook but this sort of tactic works for me like the red rag works for the bull :D

pentaxuser

8. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The obstacle does not appear for me; my view is unobstructed thanks to too-ancient Android software.

9. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    welcome news!!!

10. Toyo

Toyo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you Karl-Gustaf.
    Much appreciated
    Tom

11. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for that link.

I too have nothing to do with face book, but as this is about a physical magazine (I believe) I'll await the release of this English version; hopefully I can afford a subscription.

Mick.

12. OP
    OP
    K-G

K-G Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    According to their Facebook site there will be more details in the coming weeks. They write that the English edition will have a more
    international focus and will not be a direct translation of the German version.
    I will try to keep this thread updated.

Karl-Gustaf

13. Hubigpielover

Hubigpielover Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Cool, can't wait till it comes out.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I sure hope they add a direct subscription link, rather than going through Facebook or some online funding site.

I'd gladly subscribe if I could send my cc information ONLY to the magazine's office.

- Leigh

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Facebook has its own disadvantages so some of us avoid it and other social media. If it will require Facebook I will be happy to live without it.

17. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I will not touch Facebook at any cost. They are an entity who, by reports, do not care about the safety of children who use this dangerous media. Then it is also use to promote terroris propaganda and it is so slow to take it down. Altogether a vile set up.

18. OP
    OP
    K-G

K-G Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have written this on their Facebook site :
    "If you can write something on your ordinary website I think it could be an advantage.
    I have understood that many of the American APUG-users are not to happy about Facebook."

They responded as follows :
    "Dear Karl thank you for you support. That's a good point."

I'm quite sure there will be more information soon, not only on Facebook.
    I will post as soon as it comes up.

Karl-Gustaf

19. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the work I did in information security, I was constantly told to stay off Facebook and other social media because by using those one is setting themselves up to being hacked.

20. Skiver101

Skiver101 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    FLICKR 800 small copy.jpg

JP

21. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Try telling that to my daughter! On second thoughts, don't bother because she would not listen, it would just be a waste breath. And she's 42 yrs old and should know better.

22. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's the chilling part and it isn't just your daughter. It seems to be a good percentage of the rest of the world.

pentaxuser

23. Henning Serger

Henning Serger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Karl-Gustaf,

as one of the regular authors of PhotoKlassik I can give some more details about our plans for an additional international version of PhotoKlassik in English:
    https://www.photoklassik.de/aktuelles/

Our original German version is on the market since 2012. And it has been a success! Being successful in the German (speaking) market of print photography magazines is a real challenge, because the competition is brutal: There are more than 20 (!) different photography print magazines in that market fighting for attention and readers.
    PhotoKlassik is doing very well in that very competitive market because of its unique concept.
    The concept is based on primarily these factors:
    - film photography only, no digital imaging
    - the content is all about real current active photography with film, it is not a camera collector/"gearhead" magazine
    - active enthusiast photographers are writing for active photographers
    - we publish articles and topics both for newcomers and experienced / advanced photographers
    - very wide variety of topics, we want to cover all relevant areas of film photography
    - very few advertisements, so you pay for real content and not for lots of pages of advertisements like in most other print magazines
    - 100 pages in very high print quality, and a unique design and layout.

The feedback of our readers in the last years has been very good. As well as the number of sold units. And we've got more and more demand from all over the world and requests for an additional international version in English.
    Because of that we now face the big challenge of implementing a second, additional international edition in English!
    The basic successful concept will remain for the international edition.
    But of course the international version will be adapted to and optimised for the needs of the international film photographer community (it will not be a 1:1 copy of the German version).

To successfully realize the international edition we will run a Kickstarter campaign with very attractive conditions for all supporters!
    We are currently working on that, preparing the campaign.
    Please stay tuned :smile:.
    Making the global film revival even stronger is our ambition, and we are working very hard for that!

Best regards,
    Henning

24. OP
    OP
    K-G

K-G Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you , Henning !
    I just saw that the first anouncement is already up on your ordinary websit. Good luck with the Project.

Karl-Gustaf

25. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Henning,

I certainly hope you provide a subscription option on the magazine's own website.

I would subscribe in a heartbeat, but I won't give credit card information to any third party like Kickstarter.

Good luck with the project.

- Leigh

26. OptiKen

OptiKen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Please let us know when the Kickstarter campaign is ready to go live.
    I am 100% for and will back a quality film magazine publication.