Help with vintage 35mm RF servicing

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by StanMac, Feb 9, 2017.

1. StanMac

StanMac Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    My Petri 7s needs some attention to tightening up the filter ring and selenium cell assembly - it wobbles a bit during use. I am afraid that the movement will eventually result in metal fatigue in the selenium cell connections to the metering circuit and cause a fault. I have contacted two camera services to try to get this fixed - one didn't respond after two contact emails, and the other, Midwest Camera Repair, advised me they didn't service Petri cameras.

Can someone direct me to a reliable camera service that will work on these 'vintage' 35mm rangefinders?

Thank you for your help!

Stan

2. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Stan, I do not think that it will be worth it, as that rangefinder is not at all expensive. That Petri does develop a wobble and I cannot remember how I dealt with mine a few years back, but there might be a ring around the rear element, in the back of the camera. You might see if one of the two indentations on that ring allow it to move easily by using a tiny screwdriver. If so, simply tighten that ring by turning it carefully.

Of, alternatively, under the logo ring, there might be screws that need tightening. This is not a major problem and I have done this sort of thing rather easily in the past. The logo ring should screw off normally (ie, counter-clockwise). I wish I could be definitive here, but this was long ago. - David Lyga

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try Zack's camera repair. Also, he is an APUG sponsor.

4. OP
    OP
    StanMac

StanMac Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks David and bdial. I do realize that the Petri 7s is not that valuable a camera, but I do like to use it and its mid-century look draws a lot of interest. I bought it and a decent case at a local antique/junk store for $25 - everything works including the meter so I'm willing to put a little into it to satisfy my concerns that it is in the best shape it can be. I will contact Zach's camera repair.

5. OP
    OP
    StanMac

StanMac Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is a bit late in coming, but I wanted to let everyone know that Zacks Camera Repair did a wonderful job on my Petri 7S. It feels like a new camera, even with its quirky shutter cocking THUMP! when you wind the film on. I'd recommend Zacks Camera Repair to anyone who needs help with getting their gear back in the game!