Horseman 6x9 Focusing Screen

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by James Kellar, Aug 11, 2017.

1. James Kellar

James Kellar Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Horseman which I'm starting to really like. The one thing that I'm a bit of trouble with is the focusing screen. While the screen could always be a bit brighter it is the texture of the ground glass that is giving problems. When I'm focusing it is really hard to see when it is in focus and what I end up doing is just settling when it is the least, not in focus. I am wondering if other have had this issue and what their solution was? I'm thinking of trying either to make my own ground glass or getting a Maxwell screen. Any thoughts?

2. M. Axel Wikstrom

M. Axel Wikstrom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you using a loupe?

3. OP
    OP
    James Kellar

James Kellar Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your reply. Yes 8x. All my negatives are sharp it just takes me a long time to focus. It's been a while and I have used different view cameras in the past but don't remember the ground glass having so much texture.

Thanks again.

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Frenel (part #27834) makes it brighter. Are you sure you have the original ground glass (#27832)? Is it clean? The special extended Horseman Loupe helps too (#25614). Make sure the loupe is focused on the ground side of the glass and not the other side of the glass or the fresnel. Also, make sure the components are assembled correctly. Ground side of glass closest to the lens, then the fresnel between the ground glass and your eye.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    James Kellar

James Kellar Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just bought from Japan so I'm assuming that it is original and yes it looks pretty clean and it does have the Fresnel lens. What I'm thinking of doing is making my own ground glass and see if that makes any difference. I've also been looking Maxwell ground glass.

Thanks

6. Willyekerslike

Willyekerslike Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When I bought my Horsman 6x9 it came with a book of woeds (manual) which I cannot find just now but I am sure it said the the loupe should only be used on the central part of the focusing screen and indee this I have always.

I do find it imposible to focus with the loupe on any other part of the screen but for composing the image Imfind it very good.

Regards.....W

7. OP
    OP
    James Kellar

James Kellar Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    W,
    Thanks. I try that. I have a pdf of the manual. Don't know if it is the same as what you reference but I'll take a look.

8. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Try a loupe with lesser magnification. 8x is too strong.

9. OP
    OP
    James Kellar

James Kellar Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks. I tried a 6x loupe with the same result. My a 4x?