It's Not GAS until you have all of these...

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by ambaker, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Normally I dislike using wide angle lenses, but the SWC is special. To my surprise, in the last 20 years I've probably used my SWC more than all my Hasselblad bodies and lenses combined.

2. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the Rollei Automat, the Rollei 35S, had plenty of Leicas, but why they put the AE-1 in there is beyond me, and they left out the Nikon F2.

3. Krefey

Krefey Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    1. OK... The SWC is nice, but I prefer my 501CM, have to get a 40mm now... (My favorite camera). I would call it a half miss.

2. Rollei TLR - have one (3.5E Xenotar from 58, lovely machine)

3. Leica M6 - had one; also had an M3. sold both. I loved shooting them but I hated the results. I love shooting wide open and I never take the subject into the center so I needed to focus precisely, than recompose and then my subject moved and was out of focus again. Only SLRs and TLRs in my house from now on.

4. Canon AE-1. Have one. My dad bought it when I was born in 1977 and it is the camera that shot all my childhood. That is the reason why I even had it CLA'd last year although I never use it. Terrible thing. I hate shutter priority and the manual exposure meter also is weird. Don't like shooting it at all, have it only for sentimental reasons.

5. Nikon F3. Have one, stopped using it when I got a freshly Sovered F2AS (anybody owning an F2 knows what sovering is. You send your piece of trash metal to Nottingham and after a few days receive another package containing a fantastic F2). I looked for months for my near mint black F2AS, because I not only looked for mint and black and AS but for a very specific serial number group. Found one. Now I own the best SLR ever built and it is 100% exactly as old as I am (which means it was built in October or November 1977 (I am early November). Freaky? Maybe. Anyhow, ever since I have it, the F3 is gathering dust. My favorite 35mm camera.

6. Ok. The first complete miss. Not interested in these little things (except one, see below) and yuck, it's another rangefinder. Although it is an Olympus and I love Olympus 35mm cameras. When the F2 is just to big and heavy and obtrusive - and that means when I take a camera to the construction sites around the world where I work - I grab a near mint black Olympus OM-1 with a Zuiko 50mm 1.8 and I am incredibly happe with thi little bastard.

7. Second miss. My very first camera was a Pentax K10D DSLR and I realy did not like it too much. Never tried a Pentax ever since.

8. Third miss. 6x7 is nice sometimes, but I don't really like it. I prefer 6x6 or something wider like 3:2 of 35mm. Had a Mamiya 7II once but sold it. Rangefinder and 6x7 - two things I don't like. Will not really look at the Pentax 67.

9. Rollei 35. Have it, like it, carry it when I explore an unknown area and do not want to haul the F2 or the Hasselblad or Rollei TLR. Nice little thing. And no rangefinder. Just a finder....

10. Fourth miss.

If I counted correctly, I made 5.5 points out of 10. A long way to go, but I am on the right track here. Sadly will never complete the list. Too many cameras I don't like at all.

4. OptiKen

OptiKen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am very relieved to find out that my obsession with cameras is not truly G.A.S