1. Welcome to PHOTRIO! APUG & DPUG members can re-login with your APUG or DPUG username and password. If you prefer 100% Analog (APUG) content then uncheck "Hybrid" and "Digital" in the site header (page top, right next to the PHOTRIO logo). PHOTRIO is still under construction for the next few weeks, but we felt it was stable enough to open. The forum categories need a major restructuring and we'll be working on that and much more. For a "quick start" guide to new features CLICK HERE. To report bugs and feature requests CLICK HERE. Thank you for your patience, and please keep in mind we are still finishing off the site. (Close this notice by clicking the X to the top right of the notice box).

Macro lens, MANUAL or AUTO focus?

Discussion in 'Macro Photography' started by ac12, Oct 7, 2016.

1. filmconquistador

filmconquistador Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For what cameras? Is it going to switch analog and digital?
    I prefer manual focus, the 105mm f2.8 ais, but maybe for a bit more you can go for the D version with AF if you are planning to use it in digital (to keep the exif data

2. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use to be a die-hard defender of manual focus.But ,I 've run so many tests now comparing the two and,I was never able to beat auto-focus with manual focus and I know that true sharpness depends on accurate focus.Now I'm auto-focus all the way!

3. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Autofocus works best with stationary objects. Moving objects require manual focus, otherwise the shutter won't release at the correct moment in most cases.