My UL 20 x 59 inch camera build in progress

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Dogumentor, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, the only downside that I can see so far is that it's going to be hard to use front movements while looking at the GG.
    Front downward tilt is what I use 8 times out of ten, the other is front rise, maybe front fall if I'm on a cliff looking down. Rarely use the rest (and I've got a monorail, I can do anything).
    So is it going to be a 2-person focussing job, one calling out to the other? Or just rear tilt and put up with a bit of skew?
    Actually, I didn't see, can anything move at all?

2. OP
    OP
    Dogumentor

Dogumentor Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I appreciate all your comments, keep'em coming.

Transport box is the actual box you see with the bellow inside, all parts except the two folding stands will fit in that box. The lens is separately packed in its own box.

As for focus, have a look at the picture below, on the right is the focus wheel, attached to a long threaded rod, in the center is a captured nut which is attached to what I call the focus train. This focus train is made of heavy duty drawer guides used in furniture. It turns smooth, slow and a bit stiff but has absolutely no backlash (Spiel). In fact that simple mechanism is so good, I do not need to lock it when focus is achieved, it stands rock solid by itself.

There will be some you tube video in the future, setting up the camera by one man and showing the simple features.

Front downward tilt of lens board is not necessary, according to to photographer. We discussed that in detail but because the lens has such an ultra wide angle, only up and down of the lens board is needed. This is a landscape shooting monster.

The two folding stands are also not height adjustable, but I have some leg extensions that can be attached if needed. For time being, we just need to contend with what is allowed to do and make improvements from there. Again, because of the ultra wide angle, minor height adjustments or 'leveling out' will move the subject on the screen quite a bit. We just have to make-do.

It is possible for two people to lift the whole camera around, I guess the weight to be at 60 Kg.

[​IMG]
    The captured nut is attached to a U-shaped structure attached to two rails with movable drawer guides, which I call the focus train.( or carriage?)
    Feel free to correct me on proper terminology where needed.

[​IMG]
    The U-shaped structure is slotted along each length and secured by toggle screws. The lens board is bolted to the drawer guide rail this will allow the lens to be moved quickly to any position. (loosen toggle-slide board carriage front or back-lock toggles) These toggles also have multiple positions along the rail. Fine tuning can then be made from the wheel below the viewing screen.

Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2015
  3. blindpig

blindpig Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Super job! the whole thing is a work of art.Can't wait to see pictures taken with this beauty.

4. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is inspirational. Absolutely fantastic.

5. OP
    OP
    Dogumentor

Dogumentor Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks Rich,

One point I try to make with this camera project is: Don't be afraid to do things you have never done before.
    I would not have build this camera if not given circumstances just happened to come my way, and the photographer wanting it would not have it either if not met up with me. In fact the proposal was put forward to others before and didn't evolve.

I have darkroom experience from my teen years, long time ago. Since then I worked mostly with wood, one time had my own factory. Being constantly financially constraint, I learned to build jigs to facilitate my works. Through this experience I learned to match common hardware into some incredible contraptions. Later I graduated to out fit a high precision spindle motor repair facility where 1 mu seemed a lot and the workshop was a clean-tech outfit. A big difference as you might see.

This camera was also not to build a bigger or biggest camera than others. Its film size resembles a standard Chinese Landscape print, and that is exactly the reason for the Ultra wide angle lens matched for it. In fact, the camera turned out to be larger in size than we thought, as we learned to build it up from the film holder.

We are making small progress with darkroom out fit and print tests, but have not yet taken an actual picture with the camera. Exposure is done by: Iris closed--front cap off--iris open--exposure--iris closed--front cap on. The front cap is screwed on and very hard to match to the lens thread. Maybe I should make a simple guillotine shutter or a rubber front cap.

There will be new snags as it evolves but we never give up, a solution is always on the horizon, and posting it all here gives us valuable information as well.

Cheers

6. toguko

toguko Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    truly impressive :wink:

7. FoidPoosening

FoidPoosening Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just discovered and read this whole thread from start to finish. Realized the last post was in 2014. Whatever happened to this?

8. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Rollie and Ilford can make 20 inch x 100 ft film that you could use.. ortho25

9. polaroid_memories

polaroid_memories Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is just epic! But like others have mentioned above, what ever happened to this build? Id love to see the finished product and the images it can create!

10. chris77

chris77 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1

11. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for posting this!!...

13. TheoULF

TheoULF Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Hi Martin,
    Congratulations ! Really a great project, your ULFcamera! I have learned a lot of your project by studying your posts and pictures. The "gearing" of the front/back standarts looks fine. I 'll use similar on my microULF (12x16").
    At least I would like to know if you use othe lenses than the 1000mm ? Meniscus lenses?
    Best Regards
    Theo

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. esearing

esearing Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Did you ever consider just constructing a small portable room you can stand in and put the film holder area on the back wall (IE camera obscura) . Lens focus could be sliding box method. This would allow you to use multiple formats as well.