Shen Hao TFC 617-A

Discussion in 'Panoramic Cameras and Accessories' started by markstothard, Aug 6, 2017.

1. markstothard

markstothard Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. Trail Images

Trail Images Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've not purchased any cameras in quite sometime having both MF & LF cameras I really like. However, it does not stop me from window shopping and I had viewed this video by the user Nick Carver about the Shen Hao 6x17. It gives his input on the unit and as he does similar field work that I do and in the same areas so it provided a bit more interest to me overall.

[Play YouTube Video]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  3. Richard Man

Richard Man Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the Shen Hao 617 folding camera. Other than that you have to be careful since the standards do not have detente or zeroes (common in "low end" cameras), it's great. Due to the format, I have not used much movements other than shift up. I did use tilt and swing once or twice and they do work fine.

The workflow cannot be simpler with a fold down ground glass. I had a Fotoman for a few months prior getting the SH, and IMHO, the SH wins hands down, with greater flexibility.

4. LJH

LJH Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have the original Shen Hao 617 camera, made in conjunction with Mr Zhang at Shen over a decade ago.

This came about when I commissioned him to build a 6x17cm field camera around my [existing] DaYi film back.

There was a hole in the market when it came to panoramic cameras - the only movements available were rise/fall (incorrectly referred to as "Shift" by DaYi and Gaoersi), and the V-Pan was both rare and poorly designed for field use.

So, along came the non-folding Shen 617.

This camera has had hundreds of rolls go through it, on the continents of Europe, Asia, South Africa, Northern America and Australasia over the last decade+.

I have just given it a full overhaul, tightening everything on it and recalibrating the standards/detents/etc.

So, in closing, hundreds of rolls and tens of thousands of kilometres later, it's travelling well!

5. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What a great looking camera. I swear if my scanner could take that negative size, I'd be almost unable to resist buying it.