Your preferred method for capture?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras and Capture' started by donbga, Oct 18, 2006.

1. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Perhaps this is the first post to the hybrid photo website so I thought I would start by asking what is your prefered method for image capture?

Mine is still film for a lot of reasons, though I do have interest in digital capture.

Don Bryant

2. Karate Dad

Karate Dad Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Film for me too..

I still use film as well...haven't quite found what I like in a digital camera yet.

John

3. terri

terri Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Film, all the way. Mainly B&W print film or slide film for color. I actually enjoy shooting more on older film cameras, too - love the weight and feel of them. :smile: I've never met a digital camera that held that kind of appeal.

I enjoy alternative photographic processes, and I simply have to have a transparency to get on with it.

4. MAGNAchrom

MAGNAchrom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    65% Medium format: 6x7 w/ Kodak Portra 400NC or Portra 160NC
    10% Large format: BetterLight scanning back
    25% Large format: 6x9, 6x12 w/ Kodak Portra 400NC or Portra 160NC
    1% Large format: 4x5 sheet film

J Michael Sullivan
    Editor/Publisher, MAGNAchrom
    www.magnachrom.com

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Still pretty exclusively a film shooter. I have an old Coolpix 990 that I use mostly on a copy stand for archiving documents and occasionally for quick shots of things I'm selling online or for digitizing negs, slides or prints for the web, but other than that, it's film, mostly 4x5" and larger, and mostly B&W.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2006
  6. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lately it has all been digital capture, but it's usually about 66% film (120 in the diana clone or holga or large format) and 33% digital.

7. craigg

craigg Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    still film (95% of the time)

40% large format (4x5) Black and White
    40% large format (4x5) Colour transparency
    15% 35mm colour transparency
    5% Digital Slr

I only use digital for snapshots, anything serious is done on film then scanned and printed on an Epson 2400. Any large prints are done by a local digital lab.

8. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B&W : Film & hand printed. Nothing better IMO.
    Colour : Transparency and digital.
    Family snapshots : Film and tranny - the kids love those old slideshows. :smile:

Kind regards,
    Nicole

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2006
  9. tom_micklin

tom_micklin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    mostly medium format lately (hasselblad with a pinhole body cap)
    a lot of Large format when I have time....just got a nice 4x5 shen hao and will be using that a lot.

10. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would say film is my preferred method of capture and about 97% of what I do is film, but for certain things, my customers have demanded instant gratification, so I do shoot digital once in a while, all of my wedding customers asked about digital this summer, so we shot 95% of them film and 5% digital.

Dave

11. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot basically only transparencies from 35mm to 4 x 5 and print digitally on a Chromira machine. If I need to print larger than the machine can permit, I revert to print on a LightJet. My printer is Bill Nordstrom of EverColor and Laser Light Photographics fame.

Rich

Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

12. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Almost exclusively film, lots of it, mostly colour neg. A mixture of 4x5, 6x7, 6x6 (and stereo 6x6) and 35 mm (and stereo 35 mm).

Best,
    Helen

13. sflewis

sflewis Member

I shoot mostly medium format black and white film with some 4x5 thrown in from time to time. I use a NIkon Coolpix 5700 on a copy stand to take pictures of my prints for the web and I think its great little camera for color snapshots too.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So this is how the other half lives!

Right now I shoot everything from 35mm up to 11x14 with film. But I can see the day when I may work with 35mm and MF film scanned and inkjet printed and do traditional contact prints for formats 8x10 and larger, thus no longer making traditional enalrgements. A lot depends on getting a scanner (and affording one!) that can allow me to get sufficient information from a MF neg that would provide inkjets equivalent to 11x14 wet enlargements.

16. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Other than using my digital P&S for the occasional convenience, I'd say I'm half and half B&W film that I do all at home to print, and professionally processed slide film for the vibrance. I use 35 mm and 6X6. I'm starting to scope out LF these past few months, since reading Ansel's Big 3. I scan my 35mm on a Nikon Coolscan V ED. I am learning darkroom technique, and fumbling through Photoshop at about an equivalent pace. Wet is satisfying, PS is convenient. I get variable results from both, sometimes one is better than the other. I see a DSLR in my future for the versatility, but I still have alot of the basics to get down with film. I don't believe in lazy photography, which digital seems to lend itself to.

17. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have only film cameras, all my personal work and assignments are done with film...I do forsee in the very near future some projects that will entice me to invest in some digital camera equipment.

18. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    ....and I just had to get off of post 1!

19. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sure Dave, but I got image #1 to the gallery! lol

20. menglert

menglert Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Perhaps I am the acceptation here... Maybe because I'm a bit younger also...:confused:

Anyway, I started with digital before I ever shot a roll of film. For me it seemed more attractive I guess because of the fixed costs, and shooting film did not seem reasonable at the time. Also starting out I would have 100% control with digital because I already had the computer and software for editing. Not that I was searching for instant gratification, but I could quickly learn from my mistakes using digital. It seemed learning with film might have been costly because of the trial and error.

Well after about a year of shooting digital, I became more interested in other aspects of photography. Therefore, before I knew it I started trying to learn more about b&w films, darkrooms, alternative processes, and now 4x5 formats.

While I think I have learned a lot from reading through forums, and many books, I think I need to dedicate more time to taking pictures.

So I guess my point is, I think both digital and film have something to offer. As long as a medium proves interesting to me, and allows me to improve and meet my goals, then I'm willing to try anything.

Regards,
    Martin

21. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Film: 120 and 14x17
    Collodion: 8x10, 11x14 and 14x17 glass and aluminum
    Digital: Canon 5D

All depends on the situation and my mood, but everything else being equal, I prefer film and collodion over digital. And this year, it's been much more collodion than film.

22. Ray Heath

Ray Heath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    g'day all
    always film and d'room for black and white, colour film for paid colour work, p&s 5mp for family colour

now decided to go further digital for family and fun colour as it is becoming difficult to get true wet colour prints

last week bought a canon 400d (my wife is great), wonderful tool, 10mp, fast focus, no lag, feels nice to use, excellent low light performance

bottom line - real B&W film in real chemicals, printed to real FB paper that needs to get wet to process, is the best (read only) way to do monochrome photography

23. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    film will always be my first choice.

i am interested in learning to make digital negatives for alt. processes and have been waiting for this site to become active to discuss a variety of issues involved with this endeavor as well .

24. juanito

juanito Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B&W film for pesrsonal work.
    Digital for comercial work.

25. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Film for everything except small pictures for the web.

Some film pictures may go through a digital step, especially the big colour films (4x5" and 5x7") - because it's difficult to find anybody who can print them from the film.

26. Andr?

Andr? Member

B&W film only!

Cheers

Andr?