Your preferred method for capture?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras and Capture' started by donbga, Oct 18, 2006.

1. michaelsalomon

michaelsalomon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    120 film in both black and white - I scan it using a nikon coolscan 9000 with the glass tray. I use a canon 30d from time to time for snaps, but Im getting back into 35mm photography with a bessa r I purchased not long ago.

2. dmr

dmr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Film. I do not own a digital camera, although I scan, edit, print, etc. in the "Digital Darkroom".

3. BillSchwab

BillSchwab Member

Film... I am experimenting with digi-capture -> OHP -> Palladium somewhat, but still prefer film. I realize the newer chips have less of a problem, but I hate filtering the noise out of my long exposure digital capture.

B.

4. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Film. Mostly 120 (6x6 & 6x9) and 4x5.

5. brimc76

brimc76 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mostly film - 4x5 and 120. For snapshots and playing around I use digital.

6. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    JD Callow,

I like that, you are a super moderator. :D

Rich

7. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    About 80% film, 20% digital

Regards, Art.

8. jimcollum

jimcollum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    60% 4x5/betteright/pano adapter
    30% canon dslr
    10% film (4x5,8x10,11x14.. i expect this last number to increase over the coming year)

9. Jack_Flesher

Jack_Flesher Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Rough percentages and subject to change without notice :wink::

50% 4x5 Betterlight / pano adapter

10% 4x5 film

10% 8x10 film

30% Digital SLR/RF (This is actually on its way down due to increased LF use, but may stabilize with the arrival of the M8)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2006
  10. Bromo33333

Bromo33333 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Analog (90%):
    35mm is most of it (negative + prints or contact sheet + sometimes a CDR)
    6x6 MF for the rest (negative + contact sheet + sometimes a print or two)

Digital (10%):
    "snappy camera" - most of the time - e-mail is the output
    "APS" DSLR - sometimes - e-mail is the output

I find Analog image capture infinitely more satisfying for some reason, though the digital capture is several orders of magntiude more convenient.

11. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Still all film! Quick enough for my needs, and I still like the idea of a negative at the base of it all. If for no other reason than I find film easier to file and keep track of than umpteen digital files!

Mostly 6x7 format, some 645 format, and a bit 35mm, and a very wee little bit of 4x5. Don't even have so much as a digital p&s!

12. micek

micek Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paradoxically, in my case, the more commercial jobs that I do (architectural photography), the more I use film (4x5 transparencies). Digital (slr) was initially going to replace 35mm, but it hasn't. For fun I use MF (6x6, 6x4.5).

13. Sponsored Ad
  14. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Color film for landscapes and walkabouts; Mostly digital capture for the family holiday stuff for quicker sharing. B&W film days are about over and no more darkroom work ever.

15. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One thing about film and a very good scanner is that a single high quality neg can be used to create an HDR image within PS CS2.

16. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Primarily still film except for family happy snaps which go in the family album which I shoot mainly digital and print on 6x4 traditional silver prints at a local lab.

17. wclavey

wclavey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This would have been my response, too... I don't have a digital camera. My B&W film usage is about 50% 120 and the remainder evenly split (by surface area) between 35mm and 4x5, with 4x5 growing. In color, it is now 100% E-6 and almost entirely 120. I just bought my first box of 4x5 E-6 (Fuji Quickload) to try.

To scan, I use an Epson 4990, which seems to do a good job for 4x5 and 120 and an acceptable job for 35mm. But it is here in the scanning and post processing department that I need to learn more.

18. nc5p

nc5p Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A bit more film than digital. I shoot a lot of black and white on the Mamiya 645 Super. I develop the film at home and then either enlarge or scan on an Epson 4990. Sometimes I'll shoot some color on it. Most color work now is done on a Canon 5D. I like both cameras but have a special place in my heart for the 645.

Doug

19. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you like the Super, you should pick up an old 1000s. I'll probably never get rid of mine. I have that and a Super and a Pro. Film mostly but heading for digital with a Megavision S3 back for my cameras. If I ever get the Paypal claim settled, I might be able to fix the drum scanner that I bought a couple months ago. Anyone want to go knock on a door in Florida for me? And for anyone that doesn't know, Paypal considers everything that the seller says as gospel, and everything that the buyer says must be proven by several unbiased third party professional repair persons.

20. unohuu

unohuu Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Depends on when and why I am shooting. Paid work is mostly digital. Charity event this weekend to give 5x7s to waiting children and recently adopted families. Will give them dye sub prints and the disc to the social worker for web images of waiting children. polished off a roll of B/W today with my son. actually wished i had digital with me on the way to work this morning. glorious sunrise but b/w film only. actually tomorrow i will just carry a second body. one of the Minoltas with Fuji slide film for the salmon and pink sunrise.

21. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A lot of digi recently, split between Canon 5D and the little Panaleica LX-1.

B&W film still in the Contax G2 and chromes in the Bronica, but they see about 10% of the action these days, though I just bought another 100' spool of Fuji Neopan.

The Contax is smaller and hardier than the 5D but otherwise 35mm would be pretty-well dead to me at this point. I don't feel comfortable blowing digital up larger than 12"x18" though. Not yet, anyway, though I know there are folks who do it well. I am leaving for Asia in a couple of days and plan to bring no film, just a big hard drive. The whole film-through-baggage-check process has been pretty unpredictable overseas, I don't want to worry about it.

22. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I am still 100% film for image capture for many reasons, including familiarity with traditional film technology, better performance for the cost, and more secure storage. The latter is a very important issue for me as I am not at all comfortable with storing and maintaining large inventories of digital files.

Taking cameras in medum format include Fuji 645 and 6X9 rangefinders and a Pentax 69 outfit, all of whch are capable of equal or better performance than all but the most expensive digital equipment.

As for LF and ULF, the advantages and disadvantages of film compared to digital capture require no elaboration.

Sandy King

23. Nathan Jones

Nathan Jones Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I work with black and white 4X5 fim using an old Linhof Technika IV ---Occassionally I shoot 35mm film (color and Black and white) using a Nikon FM2. I scan with an Imacon 646 flextight. I have not been interesteed in digital capture for the same reasons Sandy mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2006
  24. Bromo33333

Bromo33333 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would agree - I find film superior provided you have access to a good film scanner if you want to work digitally.

I know how to use Photoshop - and it is easy for me to use a digital camera - though I find the results of poorly scanned film (Kodak Picture CD) to give more satisfying results than digital capture.

25. boilerdoc

boilerdoc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Film is preferred. Digital Nikon D2x for people work - easy retouching.
    Tmax and E-6 in Contax 645 AF. Amazing camera! Have you ever seen a medium format slide show? Stunning. Looking for an affordable digital back.
    Use Leica M7 and Epson R-D1s and a BEssa R3A for 35 stuff as well as the Nikon F6.
    Steve